- Join Today
Wednesday, May 1, 2013
Spotlight On: Amy Stern
Companies: Founder of Amy Stern Consulting LLC and Aim High Videos
Location: NYC Metro area
1. A little on your expertise… I do sales consulting for organizations and companies that have the “telecom and broadband blues”. I help companies solve their telecom and broadband needs, whether that entails expanding and adding capacity, saving money, working on a disaster protection plan, or fixing a service problem. My background of 30 years at Verizon doing wholesale marketing, product management, sales, new product launches, tariffs, pricing and contracts prepares me for that. My other passion is making videos. I make website videos and short documentaries. I work a lot with people who have an interesting personal story to tell, and with organizations that have a message to get out. In the short time that I’ve been doing this, I’ve had videos selected to appear in 5 film festivals.
2. Why did you join WIW? I was originally approached by WiW to be a mentor. I love helping younger women with their careers. I hope there are people out there mentoring my daughters in their respective fields, so it makes sense for me to be a mentor in my field. I’ve always been active in women’s groups; I was one of the first presidents of Wharton Women in the 1970s. What makes WiW special is that it’s got a good balance of business, networking, and fun.
3. What is your favorite thing about mobile? I love the freedom mobile gives you to be anywhere and still manage your life and your business. I also love the potential mobile creates to help so many underprivileged people around the world with things like telemedicine, education, and the ability to start businesses. I have done some consulting on telemedicine in rural America and in Africa, and it's really amazing what a difference mobile can make.
4. What do you think is the hottest trend in wireless right now? Right now I think transactional capabilities like mobile billing are the hottest trend, but in the long run, anything that helps consumers to manage, sort, and store all of their information seamlessly will be the winner.
5. What is your favorite app? It has to be GPS, but that’s because I have such a bad sense of direction. I could also say I love any video streaming apps, although that’s self-serving since I produce videos.